National Champions

National Champions

Friday, September 22, 2017

September 22nd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Clemson Cadets At Movies In 1951

(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Today’s photos are from 1951 and are of Clemson’s downtown movie theatre at the time.

This group of cadets are lining up to see the popular musical "An American in Paris" staring Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron. Today, this location is the Tiger Sports Shop on College Avenue.

The movie is a great diversion from classes and the Korean War, which is hovering over the senior cadets at Clemson. During the Korean War, 1,500 Clemson graduates would be deployed and 20 would lose their life.

"An American in Paris" is a 1951 MGM musical film inspired by the 1928 orchestral composition by George Gershwin. Starring Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant, Georges Guetary, and Nina Foch, the film is set in Paris, and was directed by Vincente Minnelli from a script by Alan Jay Lerner.

The movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture, and Best Musical Score among other awards. Interestingly, Gene Kelly received an Academy Honorary Award that year for "his versatility as an actor, singer, director and dancer, and specifically for his brilliant achievements in the art of choreography on film."

It was Kelly’s only Oscar.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at

Thursday, September 21, 2017

September 21st Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Night Games In 1950’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Today’s photos are from the 1950’s and shows the Tiger football team playing at night.

The above photo is from the 1955 home game against Presbyterian, the first home night football game in Clemson football history. Clemson would go on to an easy win over the Blue Hose, 33-0.

During the 1959 season the Tigers traveled to Houston to take on Jess Neely's Rice team. Below we see Doug Daigneault powering against the Rice defense as the Tigers would go on to win 19-0.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Broadcast Notes And Times For Tiger Pregame Show-BC Edition!

Broadcast Information And Show Location For Saturday's Tiger Pregame Show! 
Boston College Edition!

The Tiger Pregame Show, a game day tradition for Clemson football fans on Saturdays since 2003, will broadcast live from "The Corner of Swann Pavilion At Littlejohn Coliseum" from 9:30-12:30 on Saturday. The Tiger Pregame Show is broadcast exclusively by WCCP 105.5 FM, the Flagship Station for Clemson Athletics.

The Tiger Tailgate Show With David Stein and William Qualkenbush will broadcast in same location, beginning at 12:30 pm.

Scott Rhymer, in his 15th year as Host, will anchor the show along with Kelly Gramlich, in her 2nd year. 

The Tiger Pregame Show will tap into the continued emergence of Social Media as part of Clemson fan’s game day expectations, with several segments engaging fans via Twitter (@tigerpregame, @1055TheRoar and @kellygramlich).

“When driving to the game Saturday or working around the house, our fans can stream the show via the WCCP 105.5 FM App using their smart phones, making the show as portable as the listener wants to be on game day," Rhymer explains.

All of WCCP's programming on Game Days are now available for free streaming at 1055 The Roar App or  That includes The Tiger Pregame Show, The Tiger Tailgate Show, the Game Broadcast, and The 5th Quarter Show.

Clemson fans can also nominate themselves as the "Clemson Fan Of The Week" via she show's Twitter feeds.  The winner each week will join Scott and Kelly during the Bottom Line Segment as a 3rd host of the show on air!

The Tiger Pregame Show format will continue to offer in-depth analysis of the upcoming game, focusing on X’s and O’s of what fans should expect to see on the field during the game.

Segments for the show include up-to-the-minute game day weather conditions, Top 25 Report, ACC and SEC Game Breakdowns, Injury Reports for both Clemson and their opponent, Opposing Team's Perspective, and a historical look back at this day in Clemson football history.  There will also be segments with current Clemson football players that give fans a more personal look at the players behind the face mask and helmet.

Each week, Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney, Defensive Coordinator Brent Venables, and Co-Offensive Coordinators Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott will offer their input on the show.

Player interviews will take place each week to give fans an idea of what the vibe of the players inside the program is as they prepare for the upcoming opponent.

Don Munson, the  Voice of the Tigers, will join the show live each week to give his unique perspective inside the football program. 

And, just like in the previous 14 years, the show will close the final hour with the Keys to the Game and game day predictions, this year with Scott Rhymer and Kelly Gramlich and our weekly "Fan of the Week".

You can keep up with all information related to the Tiger Pregame Show by liking the page on Facebook (The Tiger Pregame Show and WCCP 105.5 The Roar) and following via Twitter (@tigerpregame, @1055TheRoar, and @kellygramlich)

Scott Rhymer will join Mickey Plyler on WCCP 105.5 FM and every Friday morning at 7:05 to talk Clemson football and to set the stage for the Tiger Pregame Show.  

Broadcast time for the Boston College game this Saturday is from 9:30-12:30 from "The Corner of Swann Pavilion at Littlejohn Coliseum".  Fans can listen at WCCP 105.5 FM in the Upstate of South Carolina, anywhere in the world, and via the WCCP 105.5 FM App on their mobile device (for free).

This season is set up to be don't miss a minute of the season!  Start your game day experience with a Clemson tradition...The Tiger Pregame Show!

The Road To A Repeat Begins With The Tiger Pregame Show!

Scott Rhymer can be reached at
WCCP 105.5 FM
@tigerpregame on Twitter
The Tiger Pregame Show on Facebook

September 20th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Aerial Photo Of Clemson Campus In 1950’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Today’s photos are from the early 1950’s and shows the Clemson campus from the air and on the ground.

The above photo is a large aerial shot of the campus in the early1950s. You can pin the date of this photograph to within a few years because of two buildings that stand out. Brackett Hall is in this photo above, and Bracket Hall was completed in 1951. The Old Barracks are also in this photo. The Old Barracks were torn down in the summer of 1954.

The next photo is of one of the old smoke stacks for the old boiler room. If you look closely, you can see the back of the 2nd and 3rd Barracks in this photo as well, dating the picture sometime before 1954.

I believe this picture was taken in the summer of 1954 right before the 2nd and 3rd Barracks were demolished.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

September 19th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Martin’s Drug Store Through The Years

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Today’s photos span over 100 years and show Martin’s Drug Store on College Avenue in Clemson.

These pictures were all from the same location on College Avenue, with the above picture taken in 1911. It is an interesting picture in that they staged the signs being held up by the young men on the front row.

We now fast forward to the 1950’s and you can see the more familiar Martin Drug Store.

The next photo is from the inside of Martin’s Drug Store and is from the 1960’s. Students were often found in Martin’s getting everything from medicine to magazines, to Valentine’s gifts for their sweethearts.

The final photo was taken 5 years ago in the location that Martin’s Drug Store was located for over 100 years.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at