National Champions

National Champions

Friday, February 24, 2012

February 26th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Dan’s Sandwich Shop


(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)


Dan's Restaurant (aka Dan's Sandwich Shop) was a twenty-year fixture at the intersection of Old Greenville Highway and College Avenue, occupying the space now home to TD's.


The Rudolph E. Lee-designed building had been erected by the Sloan family after the original wood building burned in 1925.


Dan Gentry was the original owner of the trolley car diner on Pendleton Road that is now Mac's Drive-In. Gentry broke out on his own, opening Dan’s and starting his own Clemson tradition.


Dan’s Sandwich Shop may best be known for the pictures that adorned the walls of the restaurant. Clemson athletes, especially football players, made it to the “big time” if Dan would place their photo on the wall in the restaurant. You can see in the above photo all of the pictures that are on the walls.


This corner where Dan’s Restaurant was located has a long history of restaurant-hood. Early on it was the College Cafe. In 1952, Gentry opened Dan’s Restaurant directly across from the town's post office and served hamburgers. "Judge" Keller would walk up from his store for lunch there.


After a fire in 1965, Dan was set-up cooking burgers on the sidewalk outside the next day. Dan Gentry passed away in late January 1971, and his business was sold.


After this Clemson landmark closed, it became the Tiger Paw Restaurant and served boxed chicken lunches for awhile but soon the kitchen closed and it was strictly a bar with a dance floor. Too many minors nabbed by ABC agents inside saw the loss of the Tiger Paw's license around 1976.


This cleared the way for The Bookstore, which featured a live deejay for the disco era in downtown Clemson. Students could honestly tell their parents that they were spending time at the bookstore!


When The Bookstore closed, the place was remodeled into Strawberry's Restaurant, which stayed in business for several years in the early to mid 1980's.


In 1986 and part of 1987 it was a bar/restaurant called Lester's Burgers & Spirits. Finally, the location became TD's, opening July 1, 1988.


Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com



Credit to Clemson Wiki