Tiger Baseball In 1949
(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Long before Tiger Field and Doug Kingsmore Stadium, Clemson played baseball in a location now that hosts tennis and soccer matches.
In this picture, Clemson is hosing Duke on either March 30th or March 31st, 1949. Clemson would finish 11-12 overall and 10-5 in the Southern Conference.
Not many Clemson people know who coached baseball before Bill Wilhelm, as the Tiger legend dominates the history books of Clemson baseball. But a well known Tiger coached the baseball team before Wilhelm. His name? Walter Cox.
Cox was in his 3rd season as the Tiger skipper in 1949. Cox would coach 5 seasons for the Tigers and handed the ball off to Bill Smith who would coach 6 seasons. After Smith, Wilhelm would take over and guide the Tigers to national prominence in baseball.
In the picture above, you can get a feel for the location of the baseball field by looking at the buildings in the distance.
Of course, Tillman Hall stands in the background with a big presence. Wannamaker Hall and Donaldson Hall can be seen on the left side of the picture. This is where Riggs Field is located today.
The cameraman is standing almost directly beside an area that is now called Lot 1 Area Parking (or the Intramural Field). And the baseball diamond itself sits squarely on what is now the Hoke Sloan Tennis Complex.
Clemson would play baseball in this location until March of 1970, when Tiger Field was completed and Clemson began playing baseball in its current location.
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com