Skip to main content

March 16th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Clemson’s Campus In 1948

(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

This aerial photo was taken on or before 1948. Notice the buildings that are in front of Fike Field House. Those were temporary barracks put up during WWII and were quickly taken down soon after this photo was taken. That is how I can date the picture to right around 1948.

In the top right of the picture, you can see Wannamaker and Donaldson Hall. The light poles you see just to the right are the lights of the field where Clemson played football prior to Memorial Stadium’s construction.

Where Klugh Avenue curves next to Wannamaker Hall is where the Sloan Tennis Center indoor building now sits. In the picture from 1948, this is where the first base foul poll is located.

The baseball field in the 1948 photo is where the tennis courts from the Sloan Tennis Center now sit.

Where the temporary barracks sit in the 1948 picture is now Lot 1 at the corner of Heisman Street and Williamson Road.

I believe the house in the 1948 picture across Old Greenville Highway down the 3rd base line of the baseball field is the same house that is occupied today by Mellow Mushroom.

Notice that there is very little on the other side of Old Greenville Highway in the picture from 1948. Today, Outdoor Adventures, Friars Tavern, The Parking Spot, and the Esso Club and condos line that side of the highway.

In the top left hand corner of the 1948 picture, you can see the back part of what is now Lot 2. The tree line that separates Lot 2 and Lot 2A is visible in the 1948 picture.

Two summers ago, a tornado came through Clemson and knocked over most of that tree line. While that might not be good for nature and the aesthetics of the campus, the folks that own condos across Old Greenville Highway like it because they now have a clear view of Death Valley!

Scott Rhymer can be reached at

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide To A Clemson Weekend For Auburn Fans

Guide To a Clemson Weekend

By Scott Rhymer
Host of The Tiger Pregame Show on WCCP 105.5 FM The Roar and WCCP 105.5 APP
1:00-4:00  Live From "The Corner Of Swann Pavilion At Littlejohn Coliseum"
Note:  Additions have been added by Clemson fans at the bottom of this blog

One of the great things about football season is that it offers the opportunity to welcome people to Clemson (either for the first time or after a long time away).  

At Clemson, we believe that we have something special and are excited to showcase that special college football environment each time we host a visitor.  Our goal  is very simple:  To be incredible hosts to our visitors and provide the ultimate game day experience.

There is an additional buzz in the air for Week 2 at Clemson, as we host the the Auburn Tigers and their fans for what should be an electric game day weekend with two Top 15 football teams in an ACC vs. SEC match-up in prime time!  We hope that your trip here will be exciting, memo…

May 3rd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Construction Of The North Upper Deck In 1983

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are a series of shots during the construction of the North Upper Deck in 1983.

The North Upper Deck is comprised of 22,500 yards of concrete, 2,200 Tons of reinforcing steel, 3,000 tons of asphalt, 5,800 gallons of paint, and 60,000 pounds of aluminum seating

The North Upper Deck height is 13.36 stories and the length is 560 feet. The total cost of the North Upper Deck was $13.5 million

To illustrate the quality of the investment of the upper deck.  The $13.5 million dollar investment is recovered in just 3 years (7 home games per year) in ticket sales.  Each game Clemson sells out the North Upper Deck, over $600,000 goes towards Clemson Athletics.

The North Upper Deck is slightly larger than the South Upper Deck. The reason for this is simple. Engineers had more room to build behind the North Upper Deck than they did behind the South Upper Deck (with Cemetery Hill behind the South). This al…

Photo Gallery From Last Saturday's Tiger Pregame Show

Below is a photo gallery from last week's Tiger Pregame Show at Mellow Mushroom.

Each week, we will have former players as our "Legend of the Valley".  This Saturday, that guest will be Reggie Merriweather and we will broadcast live from 6:30-9:30 on WCCP 104.9 FM.  Mellow Mushroom and Portable Bar will open at 10:00 a.m.
Clemson vs. Georgia Photo Gallery
Above photo is the portable bar setup adjacent to Mellow Mushroom and to broadcast area.
Above photo is one of the many Game Day Signs fans brought down to our broadcast location.
Above photo is of former Tiger Brandon Maye and Tiger Pregame Show Host Scott Rhymer
Above photo is of former Tiger Jim Bundren and Tiger Pregame Show Host Scott Rhymer

Above photo is of former Tiger Will Proctor, Ainsley Earhardt from Fox News Channel, and Scott Rhymer, Tiger Pregame Show Host.Earhardt is married to Will Proctor.
Above photos is of former Tiger Will Proctor and his wife, Ainsley Earhardt from Fox News Channel.
The Tiger Pregame Show o…