Skip to main content

March 19th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Tillman Hall Circa 1930's

(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is of the "Agricultural Building" as it was known in the 1930s. Notice the windows open in the building, as it appears to be a warm summer day in Clemson. You may not notice right off hand, but there is something missing from Tillman Hall. While you think about what is missing, here is some info on the history of Tillman Hall.

Tillman Hall is not the oldest building on the campus, but it is one of the most recognized buildings at Clemson. It overlooks Bowman Field and was dedicated in 1891 with much of the building was destroyed in a fire on May 22, 1894.
Known as the Main Building for the first half of the twentieth century, it was formally named Tillman Hall in honor of Governor Benjamin Tillman, one of the seven original trustees of Clemson, by the Board of Trustees at their meeting in the first week of July, 1946.

Today, Tillman Hall houses the Eugene T. Moore School of Education, the school of Technology and Human Resources, and the Calhoun Honors College. Tillman Hall also has a small auditorium that is often used for guest speakers or small presentations. The AFROTC is also located in Tillman Hall.

Tillman's tower holds a clock which chimes every 15-minutes with a 47-bell carillon. The original bell sits in a monument in The Carillon Garden.

Now…have you noticed what is missing from the picture? If you guessed the statue of Thomas Green Clemson you are correct.
The picture above was taken in the 1930’s, and the statue of Thomas Green Clemson had yet to be constructed.

Outliving his wife and his children, Clemson drafted a final will in the mid 1880s. The will called for the establishment of a land-grant institution called "The Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina" upon the property of the Fort Hill estate.

He believed that education, especially scientific education, leads to economic prosperity. He wanted to start an agricultural college because he felt that government officials did not appreciate the importance of agricultural education.

The military college, founded in 1889, opened its doors in 1893 to 446 cadets. Clemson Agricultural College was renamed Clemson University in 1964.

A statue of Thomas Green Clemson and the Fort Hill house are located on the campus. The town of Calhoun that bordered the campus was renamed Clemson in 1943.

Scott Rhymer can be reached at Scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

Credit to clemsontigers.com and Wikipedia.

Popular posts from this blog

May 3rd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Construction Of The North Upper Deck In 1983

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are a series of shots during the construction of the North Upper Deck in 1983.

The North Upper Deck is comprised of 22,500 yards of concrete, 2,200 Tons of reinforcing steel, 3,000 tons of asphalt, 5,800 gallons of paint, and 60,000 pounds of aluminum seating

The North Upper Deck height is 13.36 stories and the length is 560 feet. The total cost of the North Upper Deck was $13.5 million

To illustrate the quality of the investment of the upper deck.  The $13.5 million dollar investment is recovered in just 3 years (7 home games per year) in ticket sales.  Each game Clemson sells out the North Upper Deck, over $600,000 goes towards Clemson Athletics.

The North Upper Deck is slightly larger than the South Upper Deck. The reason for this is simple. Engineers had more room to build behind the North Upper Deck than they did behind the South Upper Deck (with Cemetery Hill behind the South). This al…

Photo Gallery From Last Saturday's Tiger Pregame Show

Below is a photo gallery from last week's Tiger Pregame Show at Mellow Mushroom.

Each week, we will have former players as our "Legend of the Valley".  This Saturday, that guest will be Reggie Merriweather and we will broadcast live from 6:30-9:30 on WCCP 104.9 FM.  Mellow Mushroom and Portable Bar will open at 10:00 a.m.
Clemson vs. Georgia Photo Gallery
Above photo is the portable bar setup adjacent to Mellow Mushroom and to broadcast area.
Above photo is one of the many Game Day Signs fans brought down to our broadcast location.
Above photo is of former Tiger Brandon Maye and Tiger Pregame Show Host Scott Rhymer
Above photo is of former Tiger Jim Bundren and Tiger Pregame Show Host Scott Rhymer

Above photo is of former Tiger Will Proctor, Ainsley Earhardt from Fox News Channel, and Scott Rhymer, Tiger Pregame Show Host.Earhardt is married to Will Proctor.
Above photos is of former Tiger Will Proctor and his wife, Ainsley Earhardt from Fox News Channel.
The Tiger Pregame Show o…

Game Day Events And Broadcast Notes For 199th Tiger Pregame Show In New Orleans!

Game Day Events In New Orleans,
Broadcast Information And Show Location For 199th Tiger Pregame Show! 
College Football National Semifinal
Allstate Sugar Bowl


The Tiger Pregame Show, a game day tradition for Clemson football fans on Saturdays since 2003, will broadcast our National Semifinal Edition live from Media Row at the Marriott Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana on New Years Day!  

Broadcast time is 2:30-5:30 (Eastern Standard Time) or from 1:30-4:30 (Central Time in New Orleans).

Media Row is located within the Official College Football Playoff Media Hotel (Marriott Convention Center) in the heart of New Orleans, just 8 blocks away from the Superdome within the shadows of the historic French Quarter.

The Tiger Pregame Show will also be in New Orleans the entire weekend, and we will help cover all of the exciting events that are taking place leading up to Game Day and the Allstate Sugar Bowl.  

Game Day!  January 1st
The Tiger Pregame Show will broadcast from 1:30-4:30 (Central…