National Champions

National Champions

Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 31st Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Unique Pictures Of Military In 1950’s


(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Of all the photos Alan uploaded that I saved, this one may be one of the most bizarre. The picture is from the 1950’s and is a young lady eating ice cream at the top of a light tank that was parked in the shadows of Memorial Stadium.

I have no idea what the purpose of this photo is, but it is strange for sure! I’m sure it was a promotion for either the military ROTC at Clemson or the ice cream…but I just don’t know which one!

What I like about the picture is the view of Memorial Stadium before the lower deck expansions. You can see the West Endzone Scoreboard above and to the right of the young lady’s head.

This view is not too far away from where we do the Tiger Pregame Show and Tiger Tailgate Show on the Lawn at Littlejohn today. My best guess is that this picture is on what we now call the Avenue Of Champions Road which runs between current day Littlejohn Coliseum and Lot 5.

When Memorial Stadium was first built, this area to the right in the picture was a forest. So my guess is that this photo was taken a little later in the 1950’s, possibly as late as 1958.

So what were the tanks doing in Clemson? I really don’t know. But the tanks show up in several pictures from that era. Below is a picture of a Lieutenant on a tank with the Clemson “chimney stack” behind him. I estimate that this picture was taken somewhere around Union Drive near what is now Holmes Hall.


And the Army ROTC group was known to roll around on a tank every now and then, as evidence by the picture below. I wonder if these guys are completing a pledge prank or if they are on their way to see the Tigers play?!
(Note: If you have old pictures dating before 1990 that are Clemson related and you would like to share them, send them to me in an email with as much information about the picture as you can give and I will use it for a future “Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day”).

Scott Rhymer can be reached at Scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com