Skip to main content

April 23rd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Johnstone Hall From 1950’s Through 1960’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Johnstone Hall has housed several generations of Clemson undergraduates. Located on west campus, it originally overlooked the student laundry, the coal-burning Physical Plant and the university fire department, and beyond that the stadium and Lake Hartwell. It is named for an original Clemson trustee and, later, chairman of the board, Alan Johnstone, (served 1890–1894, 1905-1929.)   Although it had sections A through F, all that remains today is section A and an annex.

Erected in 1954, the Johnstone Hall complex design became a model for college dormitories, implementing a new raise-slab construction method, a practice which was featured in many architectural magazines at that time. This method - the Youtz-Slick "lift-slab" method - lifted reinforced concrete slabs onto columns with hydraulic jacks. These slabs weighed 224 tons and were nine inches thick, 122 feet long and 43 feet wide. Johnstone Hall was the largest building complex erected using this method. Campus legend had it that two other similar structures built elsewhere collapsed before completion.

Most of the rooms had been taken out of use by the mid-1990s as obsolete (electrical wiring wasn't grounded, and is still not grounded in the remaining structure). Situated on sloping ground directly opposite the John C. Calhoun mansion of Fort Hill, Johnstone replaced a group of free-standing barracks dating from Clemson's early military college days.

Six residence hall sections, A through F, existed on nine numbered levels, but with no single section boasting more than five floors, as the structure followed the contours of the site in an irregular horseshoe open on the north side. Harcombe Commons dining hall was attached to the A-section interior on level five.

Cinder block annex wings were added onto the ends of A and F sections to increase capacity by the early 1960s. A central student resource center separated A and B sections. This separation would eventually allow females to be housed in A section, while the remaining sections remained all male.

An open air loggia on the ground-floor (level six) at the hilltop overlooked an assembly quadrangle designed to accommodate cadet formations. The canteen, one floor below the loggia, faced the formation area. The paved quadrangle, lately serving as parking, was redeveloped into a new student union and student government chambers in the mid-1970s.

The campus student locator phone office, the West Campus housing office, student government chambers, a small campus retreat chapel (later converted to a job placement office), and all the student media were located in the three levels above the loggia.

During the fall 1991 and spring 1992 semesters, B and C sections were demolished and replaced with the more modern McCabe and Holmes Halls both of which opened up in the fall of 1994. D section was closed as a residence hall in the mid 1990s, but continued to be used as a university storage facility. E and F sections remained open until 2001, when they were demolished along with D section.

A section underwent a minor renovation in 1999. It was then used as a co-ed residence for several years before returning to all men during the fall of 2011, much to the incoming freshmen's disappointment, except those who continuously party.

In 2007, an architect was contracted to redesign the Student Union. The design called for the demolition of most of the original structures of the union, including the remaining Johnstone facilities. A year later, all University construction projects were halted due to lack of funding and the remodel, as well as the concurrent demolition, was never carried out.

(Note: If you have old pictures dating before 1990 that are Clemson related and you would like to share them, send them to me in an email with as much information about the picture as you can give and I will use it for a future “Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day”).

Scott Rhymer can be reached at Scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

Credit to wikipedia

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide To A Clemson Weekend For Auburn Fans

Guide To a Clemson Weekend

By Scott Rhymer
Host of The Tiger Pregame Show on WCCP 105.5 FM The Roar Wccpfm.com and WCCP 105.5 APP
1:00-4:00  Live From "The Corner Of Swann Pavilion At Littlejohn Coliseum"
Note:  Additions have been added by Clemson fans at the bottom of this blog

One of the great things about football season is that it offers the opportunity to welcome people to Clemson (either for the first time or after a long time away).  

At Clemson, we believe that we have something special and are excited to showcase that special college football environment each time we host a visitor.  Our goal  is very simple:  To be incredible hosts to our visitors and provide the ultimate game day experience.



There is an additional buzz in the air for Week 2 at Clemson, as we host the the Auburn Tigers and their fans for what should be an electric game day weekend with two Top 15 football teams in an ACC vs. SEC match-up in prime time!  We hope that your trip here will be exciting, memo…

May 3rd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Construction Of The North Upper Deck In 1983

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are a series of shots during the construction of the North Upper Deck in 1983.

The North Upper Deck is comprised of 22,500 yards of concrete, 2,200 Tons of reinforcing steel, 3,000 tons of asphalt, 5,800 gallons of paint, and 60,000 pounds of aluminum seating

The North Upper Deck height is 13.36 stories and the length is 560 feet. The total cost of the North Upper Deck was $13.5 million

To illustrate the quality of the investment of the upper deck.  The $13.5 million dollar investment is recovered in just 3 years (7 home games per year) in ticket sales.  Each game Clemson sells out the North Upper Deck, over $600,000 goes towards Clemson Athletics.

The North Upper Deck is slightly larger than the South Upper Deck. The reason for this is simple. Engineers had more room to build behind the North Upper Deck than they did behind the South Upper Deck (with Cemetery Hill behind the South). This al…

Photo Gallery From Last Saturday's Tiger Pregame Show

Below is a photo gallery from last week's Tiger Pregame Show at Mellow Mushroom.

Each week, we will have former players as our "Legend of the Valley".  This Saturday, that guest will be Reggie Merriweather and we will broadcast live from 6:30-9:30 on WCCP 104.9 FM.  Mellow Mushroom and Portable Bar will open at 10:00 a.m.
Clemson vs. Georgia Photo Gallery
Above photo is the portable bar setup adjacent to Mellow Mushroom and to broadcast area.
Above photo is one of the many Game Day Signs fans brought down to our broadcast location.
Above photo is of former Tiger Brandon Maye and Tiger Pregame Show Host Scott Rhymer
Above photo is of former Tiger Jim Bundren and Tiger Pregame Show Host Scott Rhymer

Above photo is of former Tiger Will Proctor, Ainsley Earhardt from Fox News Channel, and Scott Rhymer, Tiger Pregame Show Host.Earhardt is married to Will Proctor.
Above photos is of former Tiger Will Proctor and his wife, Ainsley Earhardt from Fox News Channel.
The Tiger Pregame Show o…