Inside of Dan’s Sandwich Shop
(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is of the inside of Dan's Sandwich Shop taken in the 1960s. Notice the walls covered with Clemson athletic photos.
Dan's Restaurant (aka Dan's Sandwich Shop) was a twenty-year fixture at the intersection of Old Greenville Highway and College Avenue, occupying the space now home to TD's. The Rudolph E. Lee-designed building had been erected by the Sloan family after the original wood building burned in 1925.
Dan Gentry was the original owner of the trolley car diner on Pendleton Road that is now Mac's Drive-In. Gentry broke out on his own, opening Dan’s and starting his own Clemson tradition.
Dan’s Sandwich Shop may best be known for the pictures that adorned the walls of the restaurant. Clemson athletes, especially football players, made it to the “big time” if Dan would place their photo on the wall in the restaurant.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
"The Road To Charlotte Begins With The Tiger Pregame Show"
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org