Construction Of Fike Field House
(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from the late 1920’s and show the construction and completion of the Clemson Field House (soon to be named Fike Field House).
The Clemson Field House opened in 1930, funded in part by IPTAY representative Rupert Howard Fike. The first intercollegiate competition took place in the field house in 1931 when Clemson and Furman played basketball.
In 1941, the Clemson Field house expanded to include racquetball, tennis courts, boxing ring, weights, and the Athletic Department.
In 1966, the Clemson Field House was renamed the Fike Field House by the Board of Trustees as renovations continued. That name stood until 1971 when it was renamed Fike Recreation Center.
In 1975, the McHugh Natatorium opened with an eight-lane, 25-yard racing pool and a 13.5 foot diving pool. The Athletic Department moved to Jervey and the Department of Intramurals and Recreation move into Fike. Expansion to include three large multipurpose rooms and 10 handball courts was completed.
In 2001, a 33,000-square-feet addition was built, including the Swann Fitness Center, in honor of Joseph Swann, that provided new equipment, programs, and services, such as the rock-climbing wall and two new gymnasiums.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com