Johnstone Hall Signs
(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is a familiar sign from the mid 1980’s, showing a sign students erected on the outer facade of Johnstone Hall.
Erected in 1954, the Johnstone Hall complex design became a model for college dormitories, implementing a new raise-slab construction method, a practice which was featured in many architectural magazines at that time. This method - the Youtz-Slick "lift-slab" method - lifted reinforced concrete slabs onto columns with hydraulic jacks. These slabs weighed 224 tons and were nine inches thick, 122 feet long and 43 feet wide.
Johnstone Hall was the largest building complex erected using this method. Campus legend had it that two other similar structures built elsewhere collapsed before completion.
Today, only one of the original Johnstone buildings is still standing on the campus. Most of the rooms had been taken out of use by the mid-1990s as obsolete (electrical wiring wasn't grounded, and is still not grounded in the remaining structure).
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org