Johnstone And Harcombe In 1950’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from the 1950’s and show various photos of Johnstone Hall and Harcombe Dining Hall.
Johnstone Hall housed several generations of Clemson undergraduates. Located on west campus, it originally overlooked the student laundry, the coal-burning Physical Plant, the University fire department, Memorial Stadium, and Lake Hartwell.
Johnstone was named for an original Clemson trustee Chairman of the Board, Alan Johnstone, who served in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Although it had sections A through F, all that remains today is section A and an annex.
Harcombe is the east campus dining hall, located next to and above the old Edgar A. Brown University Union and the student post office. Built in 1954 to originally seat 4,000 cadets, as currently structured, it is only about one-third its original size, having been sub-divided in stages over the years.
It is named for Capt. James Douglas Harcombe, mess officer at Clemson for 26 years. Arriving from New York in the summer of 1920 as an experienced Army mess officer, Harcombe oversaw feeding a corps that grew from 847 to almost 3,000 students during his tenure.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com