Old Mechanical Hall From 1920’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from a building at Clemson that no longer exists, Mechanical Hall.
The photo above is a common photo showing the old Mechanical Hall in the snow and you can see that it was located beside Hardin Hall. Mechanical Hall burned down in 1926 and the school went right to work on a replacement building.
Old Mechanical Hall, which housed Engineering since the college's earliest days, burned to the ground on May 27th, 1926. The roof over the machine shop caught fire, which spread to the rest of the structure. Fire fighters from Anderson, Greenville and Easley finally contained the blaze, saving nearby structures. Greenville City Firefighter J.C.F (Jimmy) Burns lost his life while fighting this blaze.
The fuzzy photo below shows an interesting view of Riggs Hall in 1928 from the Main Building (Tillman). It shows a view of the area where Mechanical Hall was and that it still was without any grass two years after the fire.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com