Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from April, 2014

April 30th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Calisthenics On Bowman Field In 1940

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo focuses on Clemson Cadets on parade at Bowman Field from the early 1940’s.

The above photo was taken just prior to WWII, sometime around 1940. The cadets are doing calisthenics on Bowman Field, and it appears they have drawn an audience on the bank across what is now Highway 93.

Although Clemson became a coeducational civilian institution in 1955, it still maintains an active military presence. The university is home to detachments for U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) as well as a host school for the U.S. Marine Corps PLC program adjacent to the Semper Fi Society.

The following organizations are present among the military personnel at Clemson: Company C-4 Pershing Rifles, K-7 Scabbard and Blade, Major Rudolf Anderson, Jr. Squadron Arnold Air Society, Major Dennis H. Satler Chapter Silver Wings, and the Clemson Rangers.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpreg…

April 29th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

1970’s Dorm Move In

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are something that all of us that have moved into a dorm room in college can relate to.

The above photo was taken in the late 1970’s and shows Clemson students carrying the structure that would make up a bed stilt, something commonly used in Johnstone Hall to give students more room in the dorm.

The next photo is a couple unloading the car with a couple of suitcases and boxes. Note the box of Girl Scout cookies in the front center of the picture.

You may also notice the brand name on the outside of the big box…Dart Detergent. I do not believe Dart is around anymore…or at least not around selling detergent.

The final picture is my favorite of this group. This young man has come to move in to Clemson during the early 1980’s with only the “essentials”. He has a sleeping bag, a cooler, and a “jam box”. What else could a young man need on the first day back to school at Clemson?!

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpr…

April 28th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Course Registration In Fike From 1950’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are a collection from the 1950’s and shows student registration taking place in Fike Gym.

In the 1950’s, enrollment at Clemson as just over 2,700 students. Today, that enrollment is well over 17,000.

Fike Recreation Center, originally known as Clemson Field House, is an on-campus recreation facility at Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina. It houses several gymnasiums, a pool, a fitness atrium, racquetball courts, an indoor walk/jog/run track, and a climbing wall. The basketball team played there from 1930 to 1968, when Littlejohn Coliseum opened.

The building originally opened in 1930 as the Clemson Field House, and was the indoor home to Clemson athletics. It also contained the original dressing rooms for the football team.

It was renamed in 1966 in honor of the late Dr. Rupert H. "Rube" Fike, Class of 1908, a longtime booster and founder of the IPTAY Club, one of the country&#…

April 27th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Snowfall On Clemson Campus In 1930’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are a collection from the 1930’s at Clemson as our Nation was gripped in the Great Depression.

The photos show that despite the rough times, something as simple and pure as a blanket of snow could bring out the good times for college kids.


This is an interesting photo even though the upper left corner was cut off. This is of downtown with Judge Keller’s store on the right and Tillman in the background.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 26th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Frank Howard’s Last Home Game

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from November 1st, 1969 and are photos of a rainy game against Maryland that would prove to be Frank Howard’s last time roaming the sidelines as head coach at Clemson.

Maryland was not very good in 1969, and Clemson drilled the Terps 40-0. Clemson scored in every possible way, including a safety.

The crowd was small that Saturday due to the weather, only 22,802. But those in attendance witnessed something other than Clemson's 350th win. They didn't know it at the time, but those that were in attendance had also seen an era in Clemson football come to an end.


Charlie Waters (in hood) was a pivotal part of the 1969 season and in this game vs. Maryland.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 25th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Mike Eppley Vs. Georgia In 1983

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is from the 1983 Clemson/Georgia game on September 17th in Death Valley and shows Mike Eppley handing the ball off to Kevin Mack.

Georgia came into the game ranked #3 in the nation and the game was heavily hyped throughout the summer (much like this year’s game will be).

The game ended in a 16-16 tie with both teams trying long field goals on back to back plays to end the game.

Because of the newly opened North Upper Deck, this was the first time the attendance in Death Valley reached 81,000.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 24th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Howard’s Rock In 1980’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is a unique photo of Howard’s Rock in the mid 1980’s as the Tigers prepare to run down the hill. Notice the gloves on the offensive lineman…something that was very common during this era.

In the early 1960s, the rock was given to then head coach Frank Howard by a friend, Samuel Columbus Jones (Clemson Class of 1919). On September 24, 1966, the first time Clemson players ran by the rock and the Tigers beat conference rival Virginia, 40-35.

Howard, seizing on the motivational potential of "The Rock", told his players, "Give me 110% or keep your filthy hands off of my rock."

The team started rubbing the Rock for the first game of 1967, which was a 23-6 waxing of ACC foe Wake Forest.

It is now a tradition for the Clemson Army ROTC to "protect" the Rock for the 24 hours prior to the Clemson-South Carolina game when held in Death Valley. ROTC cadets keep a steady drum cadence around the rock…

April 23rd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Wannamaker Hall In Mid 1940’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is of Wannamaker Hall taken just after World War II.

One striking note from the photo is the number of cars parked. Prior to the WWII, very few Clemson students had access to cars. But as cadets came home from Europe and the Pacific, they were settling into homes and purchasing cars at a rapid pace. Obviously, parking was an issue at Clemson in the mid 1940’s as it is today!

Wannamaker Hall is a 1930s-era residence hall that was originally named Barracks #7. It is the northwesterly-most of the five halls that make up the Greek Quad on the West Campus of Clemson University. The building's back side faces Historic Riggs Field.

Completed in 1936 as a new barracks to house cadets of Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina, the architect was the J. E. Sirrine Company, with Clemson professor Rudolph E. Lee as consulting architect. A complete renovation of Wannamaker Hall was undertaken in 2005, with Hanb…

April 22nd Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Loggia At Clemson

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is of the Loggia design of Johnstone Hall, a unique architectural design of its era.

The Loggia was built as a focal point to the rather unusual architectural style that was incorporated in the design of Johnstone Hall. The Loggia was located at approximately the same location as the old Second Barracks sat for so many years and was built in the 1950’s.

One of the more unusual features in the design of the Loggia, was its ceiling. The honeycomb design is different than any other building at Clemson.


The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 21st Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Budweiser Clydesdales In Mid 1980’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is of the Budweiser Clydesdales on a rainy day inside of Death Valley in the mid 1980’s.

The famous Clydesdales made several appearances at Clemson games in the 1980’s, and I believe this particular day was the 1987 Georgia Game when David Treadwell kicked a game winning field goal in the waning seconds.

The Budweiser Clydesdales are a group of Clydesdale horses used for promotions and commercials by the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Company. There are six "hitches" or teams of horses, five that travel around the United States and one that remains in their official home at the company headquarters at the Anheuser-Busch brewery complex in St. Louis, Missouri, where they are housed in a historic brick and stained-glass stable built in 1885.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 20th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Death Valley Sunset In 1983
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is a unique sunset picture taken shortly after the completion of the North Upper Deck.

I can confirm it is just after the construction of the North Upper Deck because you can see that the “Tigers” is not painted on the upper deck seats yet. The North Upper Deck was completed in 1983 and I believe the “Tigers” script was painted in 1984. That would date the picture sometime in the summer of 1983.

A couple of notes regarding expansion of Memorial Stadium through the years: In 1958, 18,000 sideline seats were added to Memorial Stadium and in 1960, 5,658 west end zone seats were added in response to increasing attendance. The original cedar wood seating was replaced in 1972 by aluminum seats.

As attendance continued to skyrocket, an upper deck was added to each side of the stadium. The south upper deck (Top Deck South) was added in 1978 and the north upper deck (Top Deck North) in 1983. This put the total capacity …

April 19th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Classic Tailgating Car And Fiberglass Tiger


(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are of a great looking classic car decked out in Tiger Orange!

The above picture was taken on a fall afternoon in Clemson prior to a football game in the mid 1960’s. The car would show up at almost every home football game, and this picture was taken in the Tillman Hall loop.

If you notice, the car has the number ’42 on the side door panel. I believe the significance of the ’42 is to honor the class of 1942 and their 25th Anniversary of graduation (which would have been in 1967).

Below is a black and white picture taken of the car with member of the class of 1942 standing beside it. Worth notice from this class of students…almost all of them upon graduation would have entered the service and fought in World War II, which we had just entered in December of 1941 (just 4 months before the Class of ’42 graduated). Therefore, this picture may represent a majority of that depleted Class of ’42, many of…

April 18th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Tillman Hall In The Snow-1940’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is from the 1940’s and shows a beautiful Bowman Field and Tillman Hall after a fresh winter snow.

In this photo, Tillman Hall was just becoming Tillman Hall. Prior to 1946, the building was called the Main Building. This was the case for the first half of the twentieth century.

The building was formally named Tillman Hall in honor of Governor Benjamin Tillman, one of the seven original trustees of Clemson, by the Board of Trustees at their meeting in the first week of July, 1946.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 17th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Snow Storm Fun From 1970’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today we will step back to the 1970’s and a snowstorm that hit Clemson and provided some fun for Clemson students when classes were cancelled.

The above photo shows some students using their “talents” to make two snowmen. In the background, you can see students sledding down the hill leading up to the Clemson House. It was not uncommon for students to “borrow” dining treys from a dining hall to use as a sled.


The next picture is a typical photo anytime you have snow and kids. An old fashion snowball fight was due to break out anytime you had a snow.


In this next picture, you can see someone has tied a rope to the back of the car in an effort to provide a pull a sled through campus.

And the final picture today is of some enterprising Clemson students who poured water down the driveway outside of Johnstone Hall. With the cold temperatures, the water froze and provided a slick track to slide down to pass the time one evening.

The…

April 16th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Little 372 and John Logan Marshall


(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are of Little 372, a plan born out of the imagination and skill of a Clemson legend, John Logan Marshall.

John Logan Marshall was born in Greenwood in 1885 and graduated from Clemson in 1909 with a B.S. in mechanical and electrical engineering. After working several years on a farm in Alabama and then at Western Electric in Chicago, Ill., Marshall returned to Clemson in 1917 as shop work instructor.

School administrators quickly took notice of Marshall's talents as an educator and, in 1919, named him an assistant professor. Two years later, he was appointed head of Clemson's wood shop.

Under Marshall’s guidance, several of his students began the Clemson Aero Club in 1927. Known today as the Clemson University Flying Club, it's one of the oldest continuous student organizations on campus.


In 1928, Marshall and seven students from the Aero Club built a single-engine, high-wing airplane that th…

April 15th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Homecoming Vs. TCU In 1965

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today we'll conclude our step back in time to the 1965 Homecoming weekend in Clemson. We'll look at a number of photos to give you an idea of what it was like to be a student in those days.


The game on Saturday was a matchup between Clemson and Texas Christian. The game was a defensive struggle in which the Tigers held TCU to just 72 total yards of offense. The only score of the game came in the last few minutes of the first half as Frank Pearce kicks a 26-yard field goal.


Back in the 1960’s, the game on Saturday was just the warm up act for the big Homecoming Dance in Harcombe Hall on Saturday night. Here, Clemson students exit Death Valley after the conclusion of the game to get ready for the dance.


Dances, featuring rock and roll bands, were the craze of the 1960’s. That was no exception in Clemson as you can see from this picture from the Saturday Night Homecoming Dance in 1965.


The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook

April 14th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

More From Homecoming In 1965



(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today we'll take a step back in time to the 1965 Homecoming weekend in Clemson. We'll look at a number of photos to give you an idea of what it was like to be a student in those days.

Back in the 1960’s, the game on Saturday was just the warm up act for the big Homecoming Dance in Harcombe Hall on Saturday night.


The tradition of floats on Bowman Field was in full “bloom” in 1965 as you can see from the series of pictures below.


The floats were made of pomp just as they are today, and there were even floats in the 1960’s that incorporated movement just as we have today.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 13th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Homecoming Weekend, 1965

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today we'll take a step back in time to the 1965 Homecoming weekend in Clemson. We'll look at a number of photos to give you an idea of what it was like to be a student in those days.

As with Homecoming weekends today, the 1965 Homecoming weekend starts with Tigerama on Friday night. In the photo above, a fraternity is satirizing the “Girls Dorm” with plenty of punch lines and guys dressed as gals. That seems to be a popular topic to use for Tigerama as I have seen similar skits myself over the years.

Below is another skit from the Friday Night festivities at Tigerama.


At the conclusion of Tigerama "Miss Clemson" is crowned. In 1965 that honor goes to Nina Dulin.


The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com

April 12th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

25th Anniversary Football Reunion In 1981

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is not only historic, but a little bit unique and maybe even a little spooky! The above photo was taken on October 10th, 1981 in the pregame of the Clemson/Virginia football game on a wet day in Death Valley.

This is a photo of the 1956 football team that was celebrating its 25th Anniversary of their Orange Bowl Berth. The 1956 team went 7-1-2 during the season and was invited to play Colorado in the 1956 Orange Bowl, capping a great season for Frank Howard’s boys.

This photo was taken during the Homecoming weekend in 1981, when the buzz for Clemson’s National Title run was just beginning to make noise. At that point in the 1981 season, we were 4-0 with a big win against Georgia and had just entered the National polls. Nobody, even in their wildest dreams, thought that just 2 1/2 months later, the 1981 team would be returning to the Orange Bowl to play for the National Championship.

All of the tal…

April 11th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Clemson Cheerleaders In Mid 1970’s

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is a humorous one from the mid 1970’s and shows two Clemson cheerleaders having a bit of fun during a football game. The cheerleading uniforms, much more modest during this era, is not the only thing that has evolved since the 1970’s when it comes to giving school spirit at football games.

The school mascot since 1939, the Country Gentleman, and the playing of "Dixie" at the beginning of pre-game shows at football games, were both banished after 1971. The "Rat Class"' "Rat Cheer" also faded away after the last Rat class of 1971, only preserved in the "Unhymnal".

The primary Clemson cheer, "C-L-E-M, in Cadence Count" has evolved since the 1970s, removing “fight Tigers, fight damn it, fight, fight, fight” from the end and keeping only the “fight-fight”. You can still hear “traditionalists” use “damn it” during the cheers today.

A latter-day concession t…

April 10th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Old Photo Of Bowman Field and Tillman Hall

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is a very old picture of Tillman Hall and Bowman Field with Clemson Cadets on parade.

Tillman Hall is not the oldest building on the campus, but it is one of the most recognized buildings at Clemson. It overlooks Bowman Field and was dedicated in 1891 and was originally called "The Agricultural Building."

Known as the Main Building for the first half of the twentieth century, it was formally named Tillman Hall in honor of Governor Benjamin Tillman, one of the seven original trustees of Clemson, by the Board of Trustees at their meeting in the first week of July, 1946.

Today, Tillman Hall houses the Eugene T. Moore School of Education, the school of Technology and Human Resources, and the Calhoun Honors College. Tillman Hall also has a small auditorium that is often used for guest speakers or small presentations. AFROTC is also located in Tillman Hall.

The building itself was completed i…

April 9th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Frank Howard And Clemson's 1st Football Team

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s above photo from 1940 and was taken at an IPTAY meeting. In the photo, a young Frank Howard, in his first year as Head Coach at Clemson, is sampling some fried chicken along with R.G. Hamilton (on the right.)

Not many Clemson fans know R.G. Hamilton, but you should. Hamilton was the captain of Clemson's first football team in 1896. Below is some information on Clemson's first football team from an article on Clemson’s web site:

After grueling practices, the first-ever Clemson football game day finally arrived. On October 31, 1896, Clemson traveled to Furman (probably by train). George Swygert, center on the first Clemson football team, recalls the Furman game and the first season as follows:

"With Professor Riggs as our coach we got in shape fairly well. Our first game was with Furman, the biggest men I have ever seen, and believe it or not we won that game. We had a few trick plays.…

April 8th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

First Friday Parade In 1977

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from the 1977 First Friday Parade. The above picture shows a Clemson Fraternity moving up College Avenue on their way to the Outdoor Theatre for the Pep Rally. Check out the sign on Mr. Knickerbocker’s to the right side of the picture!

When this photo was taken, the First Friday Parade was only in its 3rd year. Started in 1974, the First Friday Parade has been held the Friday afternoon before the first home football game to celebrate the new football season.

The parade tradition began in September 1974 in response to a perceived lack of spirit and morale about the Clemson University football team's prospects. 1967 was the last time the Tigers had had a winning season and the first two games for 1974 were played away with Texas A&M crushing Clemson, 24-0, and N.C. State beating the Tigers, 31-10. The brothers of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity began rabble-rousing with Central Spirit to throw a parade…

April 7th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Band Day-1965

(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo was taken on Band Day on September 18th, 1965 and shows the North Stands during the pregame. Clemson was hosting NC State on this day and high school bands from around the upstate converged on Death Valley for the event.

You can see the IPTAY in the endzones, something that was prominent during this era at Death Valley. In the top center of the picture, you can see what is now Lot 2. Notice there are no cars parked there. This is because what is now Lot 2 was the football practice fields in 1965.

On the left of the pictures, you can see the prefabs in the location that is today Littlejohn Coliseum. These prefabs were for Clemson students who were married.

Clemson was the co-ACC Champion in 1965, compiling a 5-5 record. Jimmy Addison was the QB for the Tigers in 1965 and he often handed the ball to Buddy Gore. Here is a picture of the game program from the game, depicting Little Red Riding Hood, aka the Tiger.


The Tiger Prega…