National Champions

National Champions

Monday, October 12, 2015

October 12th Clemson Historic Picture Of The Day

Clemson QB’s In 1965

(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)

Today’s photo was taken on the sidelines during the 1965 season. I believe this is the season opener for the Tigers against NC State, a game Clemson would win 21-7 on September 18th, 1965.

The player closest to the camera is Jimmy Bell, quarterback for the Tigers. As you can see in the picture, Bell has a headset on talking to coaches up in the press box. We often don’t think about that kind of technology being used in the 1960’s, but you can clearly see that it was. Bell was from Hartsville, SC and I believe he is still practicing Family Medicine in Hartsville today.

A couple of other interesting notes from the picture. Notice the Pepsi cup on the wooden table behind Bell. I find this interesting because I can never recall a time that Coke was not the sponsor at Clemson. Obviously, Pepsi had rights at some point because of the cup in the picture, but I can’t remember anyone other than Coke having rights inside of Death Valley.

I also love the jerseys from this era. The white would look great at home even today in my opinion. I also like the numbers on the helmet.

The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com