3rd Barracks After World War II
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are of the old 3rd Barracks, with the above photo being an aerial shot taken shortly after World War II in the late 1940’s.
Most Alumni of Clemson know of Johnstone Hall, even if you did not have the “honor” of living in it! But an often forgotten part of Clemson history is the building that stood where Johnstone does now prior to 1954 (when Johnstone was finished).
The 3rd Barracks was located where Johnstone Hall now resides. The rooms were located on the second and third floors of the barracks as the ground floor housed the dining area. Cadets were packed three to a room which made living quite cozy!
All Clemson buildings, including the 3rd Barracks, were equipped with indoor plumbing and running water, which was an extreme rarity amongst most South Carolina buildings at the time.
John Francis Calhoun, grandnephew of John C. Calhoun, worked as the overseer of the dining area and his wife as the house mother of the barracks. Clemson paid them $600 and $200 a year respectively. John F. Calhoun oversaw a small number of kitchen staff, all of which lived in small wooden cottages in what is now Death Valley.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com