Tiger Baseball From 1948 On Riggs Field
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from the 1930’s and 1940’s and shows the area surrounding the old Clemson Post Office (now Mell Hall).
The above photo shows the construction of the Clemson Post Office in 1940. This building was purchased by the university in 1973 and became Mell Hall.
This location was not always the Clemson Post Office. The below photo is from the early 1930s and shows the area where Mell Hall now stands. The photo was taken on Bowman Field with the old YMCA out of view on the left and the old location of Dan's Sandwich Shop on the right. The building on the left with white columns is the old Methodist church. The small white building in the background is what would later be an AMOCO gas station. The parking lot in the foreground is where Mell Hall now stands.
This final photo is taken from a plane that shows not only that area, but a good deal of the campus in the early 1930s. You can see Riggs Field, where Clemson Baseball was played during the era. The large white flat area that is there behind Godfrey Hall are tennis courts.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com