Course Registration In Fike From 1950’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are a collection from the 1950’s and shows student registration taking place in Fike Gym.
In the 1950’s, enrollment at Clemson as just over 2,700 students. Today, that enrollment is well over 17,000.
Fike Recreation Center, originally known as Clemson Field House, is an on-campus recreation facility at Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina. It houses several gymnasiums, a pool, a fitness atrium, racquetball courts, an indoor walk/jog/run track, and a climbing wall. The basketball team played there from 1930 to 1968, when Littlejohn Coliseum opened.
The building originally opened in 1930 as the Clemson Field House, and was the indoor home to Clemson athletics. It also contained the original dressing rooms for the football team.
It was renamed in 1966 in honor of the late Dr. Rupert H. "Rube" Fike, Class of 1908, a longtime booster and founder of the IPTAY Club, one of the country's first athletic booster clubs. It has been expanded three times, in the 1940s, 1970s, and prior to 2003, when it received its current name.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com