Last Basketball Game At Fike
(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from sometime around 1968 and shows the Clemson basketball team taking the court in the final basketball game played at Fike Field House. The opponent that night was Georgia Tech.
The basketball team played in Fike from 1930 to 1968, when Littlejohn Coliseum opened. The building originally opened in 1930 as the Clemson Field House, and was the indoor home to Clemson athletics.
It also contained the original dressing rooms for the football team, who would leave the building, cross Williamson Road, and make their grand entrance, running down the hill into Clemson Memorial Stadium.
It was renamed in 1966 in honor of the late Dr. Rupert H. "Rube" Fike, Class of 1908, a longtime booster and founder of the IPTAY Club, one of the country's first athletic booster clubs. Fike has been expanded three times, in the 1940s, 1970s, and prior to 2003, when it received its current name.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org