Cadets On Bowman Field In 1950’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo was taken in the early 1950’s…just a few years before Clemson would become a coeducational civilian institution. Here, cadets are lined up on Bowman Field going through an inspection.
Although Clemson became a coeducational civilian institution in 1955, it still maintains an active military presence. The university is home to detachments for U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) as well as a host school for the U.S. Marine Corps PLC program adjacent to the Semper Fi Society.
The following organizations are present among the military personnel at Clemson: Company C-4 Pershing Rifles, K-7 Scabbard and Blade, Major Rudolf Anderson, Jr. Squadron Arnold Air Society, Major Dennis H. Satler Chapter Silver Wings, and the Clemson Rangers. The C-4 Pershing Rifles have won the national society's drill meet eight times: 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2011.
Company C-4 also performs colorguards, twenty-one-gun salutes, exhibition-drill performances, and POW/MIA ceremonies. Company C-4 performs colorguard performance at the university's home football games.
Clemson’s Air Force ROTC Detachment 770 "Flyin' Tigers" was selected as the #1 "medium-sized" Air Force ROTC detachment in the nation for 2006 (the "High Flight" and "Right of Line" awards), #1 Detachment in the "Southeast" in 2006 ("medium-sized") and 2007 ("large-sized"), and #1 in the state of South Carolina three consecutive years (2005, 2006 and 2007).
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com