1930’s Bowman Field
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is from the 1930’s and shows Bowman Field in one of the first photos ever taken of this historic Clemson area.
Named for Randolph T. V. Bowman, an instructor in forge and foundry, and an assistant football coach who died at 23 on April 14, 1899, it was originally the parade ground for Clemson cadets.
Bowman Field has served as the home of Clemson University's first football, baseball, basketball, track and even soccer teams.
As an assistant coach, Bowman had been responsible for much of the clearing of the area, formerly a sedge field. Bowman holds the Clemson distinction of having coached the very first intercollegiate match played at Clemson, a baseball game with Furman on April 24, 1896, which, unfortunately, the Tigers lost, 13-20.
The two 19th-century cannons located on the field were nicknamed Tom and Jerry by the class of 1952.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org