Mid 1960’s Clemson Campus Life
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos center around the mid 1960’s when color photography was quickly becoming the new fad. The above photo is of Clemson students hanging out in the Loggia at Johnstone Hall.
The open air loggia at Johnstone Hall on the ground-floor (level six) at the hilltop overlooked an assembly quadrangle designed to accommodate cadet formations. The canteen, one floor below the loggia, faced the formation area. The paved quadrangle, lately serving as parking, was redeveloped into a new student union and student government chambers in the mid-1970s.
The campus student locator phone office, the West Campus housing office, student government chambers, a small campus retreat chapel (later converted to a job placement office), and all the student media were located in the three levels above the loggia.
The next photo is from the inside of Sikes Hall when it served as the Library at Clemson. The cornerstone for the future Sikes Hall was laid on January 19, 1904, by Grand Mason J. R. Bellinger, A.F.M., and completed that same year.
Sikes Hall is named for Clemson's sixth president, Enoch Walter Sikes. Sikes was originally the center for agricultural studies and was known as Agricultural Hall, but was remodeled as the campus library after fire destroyed most of the building on the night of April 2, 1925. It served as the campus library until 1966 when the Robert Muldrow Cooper Library replaced it.
Believe it or not, Sikes also housed a museum and gymnasium through past years.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org