Wannamaker Hall In Mid 1940’s
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photo is of Wannamaker Hall taken just after World War II.
One striking note from the photo is the number of cars parked. Prior to the WWII, very few Clemson students had access to cars. But as cadets came home from Europe and the Pacific, they were settling into homes and purchasing cars at a rapid pace. Obviously, parking was an issue at Clemson in the mid 1940’s as it is today!
Wannamaker Hall is a 1930s-era residence hall that was originally named Barracks #7. It is the northwesterly-most of the five halls that make up the Greek Quad on the West Campus of Clemson University. The building's back side faces Historic Riggs Field.
Completed in 1936 as a new barracks to house cadets of Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina, the architect was the J. E. Sirrine Company, with Clemson professor Rudolph E. Lee as consulting architect. A complete renovation of Wannamaker Hall was undertaken in 2005, with Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas, architects.
The structure is named for John Edward Wannamaker, a Life Trustee of Clemson Agricultural College, and the last surviving member of the Board of Trustees named in the will of Thomas Green Clemson. In 1929, he was elected President of the Board, replacing the recently deceased Alan Johnstone of Newberry, South Carolina.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at email@example.com