Women Enroll At Clemson
(Photos Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from the 1970’s and most of them appeared in TAPS.
Before the mid 1950’s, Clemson was a single gender Military College. By the time these pictures were taken in the early 1970’s, Clemson’s demographics were changing quickly. When the first official coeds (degree-seeking female students) started classes in the mid-1950s, there were only three female faculty members to 313 male faculty.
But by the mid-1970s, 150 women taught at Clemson, forming about 12 percent of the faculty. Another milestone was the 1983 designation of the first female faculty member, education professor Elizabeth Galloway, as an Alumni Distinguished Professor.
Three years later, Carol Bleser, a highly regarded Southern historian, was brought to Clemson as the Katherine and Calhoun Lemon Professor of History, the first female titled professor.
By the 1990s, there were 303 female faculty representing 22 percent of the total. Today, Clemson has 346 permanent female faculty members, 124 temporary female faculty, and eight female named professors.
The final picture is from one of the girls dorm by the phone at Clemson. The writer obviously wants the ladies to “think”!
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Tigerpregame on Medium
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org