Clemson YMCA (Part II)
(Photo Uploaded By Alan Cutts)
Today’s photos are from the Clemson YMCA, originally located in Holtzendorff Hall.
The building was the first on the campus financed by private donations, most of which was a gift from John D. Rockefeller. It was designed by Rudolph E. Lee, a member of the first graduating class at Clemson (1896) and the dean of the Department of Architecture at the time the building was constructed (1916).
The building is named for Preston B. Holtzendorff, Jr. (known as "Mr. Holtzy") who arrived as assistant secretary of the "Y" in 1916 and soon became general secretary. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The newly completed Y. M. C. A. Building opened for the first time on Friday, January 7, 1916.
"There were no formal exercises. It had been previously announced that the doors would be opened at four-thirty that afternoon. At the appointed time quite a crowd had gathered. They were met and shown over the building by a reception committee selected from the cadet members of the association. The members of this committee wore simple badges on which was written the word "welcome ".
The visitors were shown the main lobby, the reading rooms, ladies' and men's lounging rooms, secret society room, literary society room, auditorium, moving picture booth, bath rooms, swimming pool, bowling alley, fountain and store, cafeteria, kitchen, gymnasium, publication rooms, and cabinet room, and other interesting features of the building.
The Tiger Pregame Show On Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter
Scott Rhymer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Info courtesy of Clemsonwiki.com