National Champions

National Champions

Monday, July 17, 2017

47 Days Until Kickoff! Dark Territory Clemson Letterman Of The Day

47 Days Until Kickoff!

Dark Territory Clemson Letterman Photo Of The Day

Wyndie "Dumb-Dumb" Wyndham

Wyndie Wyndham played blocking back on offense and linebacker on defense from 1948-1950.

Here is an excerpt from Frank Howard’s Book, Howard: The Clemson Legend

When Wyndham first came to Clemson everybody called him 'Friendly'. I didn't know at first why they called him that- because he was the most unfriendly boy on the team - but I later found out that Friendly was actually his given middlename.

You hear a lot nowadays about how quarterbacks 'audible' at the line of scrimmage to change the play that was called in the huddle. We did that 50 years ago. We did it by adding and subtracting . One day at practice we were running a play. I think I had called for them to run 54. But I saw that the tackle was in too close and the play wouldn't go so I hollered, "Add two!"

Well, 'Friendly' Wyndham was bumfuddled altogether. He stopped and he came back and said, "Whatta you mean, coach?" I said, "Well, I'll tell you. The play I called was 54. Add two used to make that 56. I don't know what it is now, but I think it's still 56. And I want you to run 56."

Then I looked at him and said, "Boy, you're so dumb you ought not to be one, you ought to be twins." After that, all his teammates didn't call him 'Friendly' anymore. Or just 'Dumb'. Because of my remark about twins they started callinghim 'Dumb-Dumb'.

But he was a great one. In 1950 we was playing Missouri out there. We got ahead of one of Coach (Don) Faurot'steams. It was in September -- the second game of the season - and it was hot as the devil. We were playing some two platoon football then, although Dumb-Dumb played in both the offensive backfield as a blocking back and at linebacker on defense.

I started substituting freely because of the heat and the fact that we were comfortably ahead. I wanted everybody to geta chance to play. Dumb-Dumb came up to me and said, "Coach, how about not putting more than six of them sorry ones in on defense with me at one time. I can protect six of them, but I don't think I can protect more than six."

Missouri had scored in its last 125 games. It was something like 13 or 14 seasons since they'd been shut out. They hadn't scored on us up to that point and Dumb-Dumb said he'd like to be a part of stopping their string. So I told Dumb-Dumb that I'd stand on the 50-yard line and that I'd have all the players I wanted to get in the game on defense stay to my left. I'd have all the offensive players stand to my right. Then I told him he could be in charge of the defensive substituting as long as he saw that everybody got in the game.

We were getting ready to kick off to them after scoring a touchdown. It was a high, but short kick. They had a big 'oltackle. He was about 6-6 and weighed about 290 back in the days when boys wasn't so big. That big tackle backed up under the ball and had his hands up in the air to catch it.

The second the ball touched his hands, Dumb-Dumb hit him right in the stomach and knocked him cold. They recovered the ball and went on offense. The right halfback ran with it. Dumb-Dumb tackled him and knocked him out. The fullback ran with it on the next play and Dumb-Dumb knocked him out. Then the left halfback ran with it and he knocked him out.

That's when the Missouri captain went up to the referee and asked him to "get that wild so-and-so out of this game before he kills every one of us." Dumb-Dumb made sure all the subs - the boys he called 'the sorry ones' - got in the game, but we still managed to shut them out, 34-0.

We blanked four teams that year - Presbyterian, 55-0; Missouri, 34-0; North Carolina, 27-0; and Auburn, at Auburn,41-0 in the last regular season game. Then we beat Miami in the Orange Bowl. We didn't lose a game that season. Our only blemish was a 14-14 tie with South Carolina in one of those 'Big Thursday' games.

We ended the season 10-0-1and ranked 10th in the Associated Press poll. Going back to that 1949 Gator Bowl game, one play Dumb-Dumb made in it I'll always remember. The Missouri quarterback was named Harold Entsminger - and he was a good 'un. He pitched to one of his halfbacks –Nick Carras or Dick Braznell - I don't remember which one. Then Entsminger was leading the interference.

Dumb-Dumb was backing up the line. Well, he ran over the quarterback to get at the ball carrier and he knocked both of them out.

Dumb-Dumb was a killer.

The Tiger Pregame Show on Facebook
Tigerpregame on Twitter

Scott Rhymer can be reached at scottrhymer.tps@gmail.com